Published April 11, 2017 22:20
Dear School Families,
Pope Francis reminded us last year, “Holy Week is a privileged time when we are called to draw near to Jesus: friendship with him is shown in times of difficulty.” Especially this week, let us pray for each other and remember to be with each other, to be truly present to those who are experiencing times of difficulty.
Mr. Caban passes the 100 km threshold today and begins the final few days to Santiago, arriving on Good Friday. He will walk to St. James Cathedral early Holy Saturday morning.
REQUEST FOR PRAYERS: Prayers are requested those who are fighting cancer, those who are sick, those who are recovering from surgery those who are hungry and homeless and those who need our prayers.
OPERATION RICE BOWL: Parents please note that we will be collecting the Catholic Relief Services rice bowls this Thursday. Encourage your children to engage in this traditional school charity and return rice bowls to their classrooms.
YOUNG AUTHORS FAIR: Congratulations to all of the Young Author winners. We had a lot of great entries.
1st place winners are:
• Following Wise Footsteps by Juan Sequeira (7th)
• If I was the First Woman President by Kaisey Baker and Mia Hanecak (8th)
• Wildflowers: A Graphic Novel by Emily Cowling (8th)
2nd place winners are:
• This is Us, Many Places, Joined Together by the 7th grade class
• Life Through My Lenses by Audrey Mills (8th)
• Food Fest: A Fridge Party! by Kylie Williamson, Jasmine Marshall and Leia Marshall (7th)
• Fritz and Marley by Caroline Ghisletta and Audrey Jullien (7th)
• Pen and Pencil by Nicole Abudayeh (7th)
• Festival of the Purple Moon by Johnathan Loyd and Sam Pickett (7th)
• Bon Voyage! by Abby Stofer and Madison Chua (6th)
• The Life of a Pencil by Caroline Rardin (6th)
• If the Helping Verbs Stopped Helping by Emma Nuti, Katie Mullane, and Charlie Passalacqua (6th)
• Detective Pickle and the Tomato Bandit by Samantha Cox (6th)
• Just Another Night, We Thought by Caroline Ghisletta (7th)
• Angel Child by Karlie Makhoul (6th)
• ABC Mythology by Emily Fosker (6th)
• Noah's Ark by Mia Brinker, Noelle Silvera, and Madelyn Karst (5th)
• Colorful Feelings by the 3rd grade class.
Thank you to all who participated!
• Festival T-Shirts Order Form is in today’s download; Get ready for your island life in style with this year’s festival shirt! Orders are due by April 25th!
**WINE DONATIONS NEEDED PLEASE**
Help needed for our 3rd Annual Wine Raffle! We are in need of Wine Donations for the Festival Wine Raffle. Any varietal greatly appreciated. Bottles need to be valued at $25 or more please. Bottles can be given to Erin Meadows (text her to arrange pick up/drop off at 925.822.7465) OR you can leave at the office, but please label them "WINE RAFFLE" so they don't get mixed up with the "WINE TOSS." THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!!
***CTK Talent Show is Coming!*** Calling all singers, dancers, jugglers, poetry readers, musicians – any and all talents welcome! The CTK Talent Show will be held on Saturday, May 20th. Start getting your acts together because it will be here before you know it! Sign-ups for the talent show will be held after school on Wed 4/26 and Thurs 4/27. Practice for all acts will be held on Thursday, May 4th immediately after school at a place TBD. Looking forward to seeing all of CTK’s talent!
SCRIP NEWS: (Please NOTE the correct date for last opportunity to count for this school year's SFA)
• SCRIP orders placed April 12th will be delivered on Thursday, April 27th.
• No SCRIP sales during Easter Break!
• Last opportunity to make your SCRIP purchase count toward this school year’s School Fund Assessment is the order date of April 26h. The delivery of SCRIP purchased on this date will take place on Thursday, May 4th. All purchases after April 26th will count towards the next school year.
• ScripSense users, please send in your account statement (screenshot of your earnings on your dashboard) by May 1st, if you’d like to include April 2017’s earnings. Also, please make sure that all family/friends who contribute to your school family account submit their statement together with your own statement. Please send statements to the attention of: Zita Quintanilla-Sanchez. May 1st is the final deadline as year- end statements will be issued shortly thereafter.
• Last order date before summer break is May 31st with delivery on June 8th. Plan your summer SCRIP needs and stock up. Don’t forget to order Classic Design Uniform Store SCRIP- these MAY NOT be available during the Uniform Sales Day! There will be NO SCRIP sales during the summer.
SAFEWAY GIFT CARDS:
We have been informed by our SCRIP vendor that SAFEWAY is currently undergoing a conversion process with their GIFT CARDS and Payment Systems at the store level. Some stores may not be able to process payments made using the Safeway gift cards sold through the SCRIP program. Unfortunately, we do not know which stores specifically in our community are yet to be updated. Once Safeway updates their systems, you should be able to use your gift cards. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
FINAL TUITION PAYMENT: For families utilizing the 10-month payment option, your final tuition payment for the 2016-2017 school year is due on May 1st and will be delinquent on May 8th. No payments are due June and July. The first tuition payment for 2017-2018 is due on August 1, 2017 All families must have their tuition accounts paid in full by May 1, 2017. If you are in need of an extended payment plan you must contact the school office to make arrangements. Current students will not be considered re-registered for the 2017-2018 school year as long as this year’s tuition is unpaid.
FAMILY SERVICE HOURS SPRING REPORT: Family Service Hours Spring Report: A progress report of submitted family service hours will be generated over Easter break. To be sure your report accurately reflects your family's hours completed to date, be sure all log sheets are submitted to the office or are recorded in the office binder no later than Wednesday, April 12. If you are unsure if hours have been submitted for a specific activity, feel free to include. We will check for duplicates against prior submissions. For questions or concerns, please email CTK.FSH@gmail.com.
PTG NEWS: Please see enclosed Newsletter from PTG in today’s Family Envelope. It is also in today’s download.
MENTORS NEEDED: We are looking for families interested in welcoming newcomers through our Mentoring Program for the upcoming school year. The goal of the Mentoring Program is simple: To help families new to CTK feel welcomed and connected to our school while imparting useful information relating to our policies and procedures. Typically, mentors make phone contact with a new CTK family several times and may arrange a face-to-face meeting if schedules allow. It is not a significant time commitment, but can make a big difference in helping someone assimilate into the CTK family. Please contact Eileen Brinker at email@example.com if your family would like to volunteer.
CHICKEN CARE OVER EASTER BREAK: Our chickens again need care during the Easter break. We understand that families may be out of town and busy for the week, and would appreciate any assistance feeding and caring for our chickens. Families may keep any eggs that our chickens lay during that time, and also count the time toward volunteer hours if need be.
Please contact Jennifer Dean, Garden Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to sign up for any day(s).
Thanks in advance for your help. Below are the days we could use chicken care:
• Saturday, 4/15
• Wednesday, 4/19
• Friday, 4/21
• Sunday, 4/23
IMPORTANT DATES AHEAD:
Thursday, April 13:
12:00 p.m. Dismissal
Easter Vacation Begins
Friday, April 14:
Sunday, April 16:
Monday, April 24: