Published February 20, 2018 22:13
Dear School Families,
In the words of Pope Francis:
“Do You Want to Fast this Lent?
Fast from hurting words …and say kind words.
Fast from sadness …and be filled with gratitude.
Fast from anger …and be filled with patience.
Fast from pessimism …and be filled with hope.
Fast from worries …and have trust in God.
Fast from complaints …and contemplate simplicity.
Fast from pressures …and be prayerful.
Fast from bitterness …and fill your hearts with joy.
Fast from selfishness …and be compassionate to others.
Fast from grudges …and be reconciled.
Fast from words …and be silent so you can listen.”
May this Lent be a spirit and faith filled journey for our community.
Please pray for those who are sick, homeless, hungry, fighting cancer and those without work.
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
Tuesday, February 20: PARENT EDUCATION EVENING: CTK’s Parent Association is hosting a parent education evening tonight, Tuesday February 20th at 6:30 p.m. in the Media Center. The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office, in conjunction with the Silicon Valley Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, has formed a new outreach program directed at parents, teachers and students on the topics of cyber-bullying, campus sexual assault awareness and online safety for kids. The presentations will be aimed at educating parents on new trends involving social media, as well as providing information and tools for students to help prevent assaults and online exploitation. Please plan on joining us for this timely and important presentation!
Wednesday, February 21: Gr. 5 Field Trip 9:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Dismissal - 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, February 22: Gr. 8 Field Trip 10:30 - 1:30 p.m.
Hot Lunch - Pizza and Salad
Friday, February 23: Dress Uniform
Mass 8:00 a.m. - Gr. 6 prepares
Gr. 8 Dance 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. CTK Gym
Saturday, February 24: First Eucharist Retreats
Tuesday, February 27: Re-Registration Forms go home
Scoliosis Testing Grades 5-8
Wednesday, February 28: Loaves & Fishes Grades 7 & 8 8:30-1:30 p.m.
Dismissal - 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, March 1: Tuition Due
Hot Lunch - Hamburgers and Cheeseburgers
Friday, March 2: Dress Uniform
Mass 8:00 a.m. - Gr. 1 prepares
Second Trimester ends
ABSENCE FROM SCHOOL: Please review the following excerpt from the Parent Student Handbook:
Notification of Absence, Late Arrival, Early Dismissal, or Appointment during School Hours
Parents must notify the school office (685-1109), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or written note by 9:00 a.m. if their child will be tardy or absent from school that day. Notification must be made each day the child is absent during an extended illness. If the school has not heard from you by 9:00 we will call to ensure your child’s safety. The office and classroom teacher should also be notified of the need for any early dismissal or release for a medical appointment.
Return after Absence
A written note stating the reason for and the date of absence, signed by the parent or guardian is to be sent to the classroom teacher the day the child returns to school. Notes are to be written for each student, not per family. Teachers date and send absence excuse notes to the School Office. Notes will be retained for the remainder of the school year.
USED UNIFORMS: Used uniforms will be out in front of the School Office tomorrow and Thursday. Please stop by to see the assortment of items and take what you need or maybe even find one of your own missing sweatshirts.
2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR INFORMATION
RE-REGISTRATION: Re-Registration for current students for the 2018-2019 school year will begin soon.
• Tuesday, February 27th: Forms go home
• Wednesday, March 7th: Forms and all or half of non-refundable Re-Registration Fees are due
• Wednesday, March 28th: 2nd installment of Re-Registration Fee is due
Re-Registration fees are per student. They are non-refundable and may be paid in full or in two installments. This registration fee secures your child’s spot for the next school year. In addition, the registration fee is used for textbooks, computers, workbooks, paper, and supplies, Diocesan fees (technology fee, student accident fee, health fee, accreditation fee, school department fee, CTN (Catholic Television Network), AR STAR Testing, student insurance fee and health fee. Fifty dollars of the registration fee is allocated for each child as a classroom fee, $10 of which is used for the auction class project, and the remaining for classroom items, such as Weekly Reader, novels, some field trips (one trip with a bus), and project items, etc.
OPENINGS: Christ the King School has openings for students going into Grade 2 for the 2018-2019 school year. If you know of a family who may be interested, please have them call the school office at 925-685-1109 for more details.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION: Diocesan and School financial aid programs may be available for families who qualify. While the primary responsibility for financing a student's Catholic education rests with the student's family, Christ the King Catholic School will make every effort to see that no child is denied access to a Catholic education based solely on lack of funds to pay tuition.
TUITION ASSISTANCE: There are three types of Tuition Assistance available to Christ the King families: BASIC, FACE, and the CTK Children’s Fund.
• BASIC (Bay Area Scholastic Inner City) is an outside source available to all new students in Grades K-8 whose families qualify for the free/reduced hot lunch program and/or meet the income criteria set by Basic Fund. The Basic Fund application income criteria guidelines are strictly adhered to. Applications are available online only at http://www.basicfund.org/how-to-apply-english/. BASIC Fund grants are on a “first come first serve” basis. If you are interested, please submit your application as soon as possible! The filing deadline is March 16, 2018.
• Diocese of Oakland FACE (Family Aid for Catholic Education) Grant is a Diocesan sponsored tuition assistance program available to all qualifying families requesting financial aid. A FACTS application is required and is due no later than March 16, 2018. Please contact the FACE office with any questions at 510-267-8358 or email at email@example.com.
• The CTK Children’s Fund is tuition assistance sponsored by Christ the King Catholic School and is primarily available to students currently attending Christ the King. A FACTS application is required and is due no later than March 16, 2018.
FACTS application instructions: FACTS applications are available online only at https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/49NCY. Applications must include a copy of the family's most recent federal income tax return in order to verify the family's financial status and are due no later than March 16, 2018. For FAQ’s, visit https://FACTSmgt.com/grant-and-aid.
CLUB CTK: CLUB tax info - Please contact CLUB if you need a statement for your taxes. Our tax ID Number is 94153-5363.
FESTIVAL INFORMATION: Hear Ye, Hear Ye goode people of the CTK realm, there is need of your service on the Festival Planning Committee for our upcoming Medieval Madness festivities. We seek a goode man or goode woman of strong mind and able body for the following important posts:
1. Someone to shadow our sponsorship coordinator, with the goal of taking a leading role in future years
2. Volunteers for the finance committee (i.e., we need a scheduler, who can work from home, and people with financial or accounting experience)
3. Setup/cleanup volunteers
4. Games committee volunteers
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to join the quest for the best festival ever! Our next monthly meeting will be held on Monday, March 12 at 7pm in the media room, all are welcome.
SCHOOL FUND ASSESSMENT (SFA) NEWS:
• SCRIP: The last day to purchase scrip for the 2017/18 Scrip Year is April 30th. Purchases after April 30th will be credited to next year’s SFA.
• CORPORATE MATCH DONATIONS: ALL families participating in an employer based Corporate Match program are required to submit documentation to CTK. Often times we receive lump sum distributions on a monthly or quarterly basis we need your information to apply credits accordingly.
Please send the following to the office marked "SFA-Corporate Match". Include your name, and the name and grade of your oldest child:
1. A copy of the pledge form you filled out for your employer along with any supporting documentation or explanation indicating the term, pledge amount and details
2. A sheet containing:
- your employer name
- corporate match company managing your pledge
- your scheduled withholding
- the plan disbursement schedule (if you are aware)
- term of your commitment
CTK must receive "matching" checks by April 30th in order to count towards the 2017/2018 SFA requirement. We can only apply credits for actual funds received. Any funds received after April 30th will be applied to the next year's SFA requirement.
Please send any questions to email@example.com.
CTK AUCTION 2018 UPDATE: One more week of CTK Experiences Online! Experiences will close on February 28th at 8:00 p.m. Please go back on and see if there is anything else you would like to participate in! https://www.silentauctionpro.com/bidonlinegrid.php?groupId=905
Thank to Mr. Orlina, our professional photographer, for these AMAZING pictures capturing the spectacular evening “Under the Stars” https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q9wjQw48RjNHNW163
Also enjoy some 2018 CTK Auction Photo Booth fun!
We are trying to close the books for 2018 Auction so please be sure you email any AUCTION expenses to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible…. FINAL Numbers coming soon!
PARISH AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
GIRLS IN ENGINEERING: UC Berkeley offers a summer program for girls entering 6th, 7th & 8th grades who are interested in engineering. It is a week of hands-on engineering activities taught by Berkeley staff and students. Space is limited and applications must be submitted by March 1st. For more information visit http://girlsinengineering.berkeley.edu/.