Published March 13, 2018 20:58
Dear School Families,
Pope Francis’ Five Finger Prayer
Using the fingers on your hand, start with the thumb and pray these intentions in this order:
1.) The thumb is closest finger to you. So, start praying for those who are closest to you. They are the persons easiest to remember. To pray for our dear ones is a "Sweet Obligation."
2.) The next finger is the index. Pray for those who teach you, instruct you and heal you. They need the support and wisdom to show direction to others. Always keep them in your prayers.
3.) The following finger is the tallest. It reminds us of our leaders, the governors and those who have authority. They need God's guidance.
4.) The fourth finger is the ring finger. Even though it may surprise you, it is our weakest finger. It should remind us to pray for the weakest, the sick or those plagued by problems. They need your prayers.
5.) And finally, we have our smallest finger, the smallest of all. Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. When you are done praying for the other four groups, you will be able to see your own needs but in the proper perspective, and also you will be able to pray for your own needs in a better way.
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
Wednesday, March 14: Prayer Service for Peace 10:00 a.m. - Student Leadership prepares
Dismissal 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, March 15: Hot Lunch - Irish-Bangers & Mash Served in Gym
Free Dress - Wear Green - jeans ok
Friday, March 16: Teacher In-Service
Tuition Assistance Financial Aid applications due
Saturday, March 17: St. Patrick’s Day Celebration 5:30 p.m. - CTK Gym
Sunday, March 18: Virtual Pilgrimage Experience 3:00 p.m. - Church
Wednesday, March 21: Second Installment of Registration Fees due
Dismissal 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, March 22: All School Lent Reconciliation
Hot Lunch - Pasta & Salad from Melos
Friday, March 23: Dress Uniform
Mass 8:00 a.m. - Gr. 7 prepares
REQUEST FOR PRAYERS: For those who are sick, homeless, hungry, and without work. We pray for all those who work in Catholic education and we thank them for this valuable ministry to our church.
FLU SEASON UPON US: As we are in the midst of cold and flu season please continue to follow school policy regarding illness. Children should be fever free for 24 hours prior to returning to school. If children are vomiting or otherwise ill, keep them at home.
ATTENDANCE: Please remember to call or email the School Office by 10:00 a.m. on days your children will be absent (925-685-1109 or firstname.lastname@example.org). We will be calling to follow up if we do not hear from you.
WALK OUT IN SOLIDARITY: Christ the King School is holding a walk out in solidarity with other schools across the nation to bring to light to the tragic events in Florida. The students will be participating in a prayer service organized by Student Leadership. Recent school tragedies will not be mentioned; the focus will be on peace. We want to extend a welcome to any parent who would like to join us tomorrow, Wednesday, March 14th at 10:00 a.m. in Church.
ST. PATRICK DAY INFORMATION: In celebration of the Feast of St. Patrick, this Thursday, March 15th will be a wear green free dress day, jeans ok.
IRISH HOT LUNCH: A special Hot Lunch of Bangers (Sausages) Beans, Carrots, Mashed Potatoes, Milk, Water and a Treat.
• Bring your Hot Lunch ticket to purchase your lunch.
• Anyone who would like to come help set up, cook or serve and clean up are welcome! We begin at 8:00 a.m. and finish by 1:00 p.m. Rachel Becker 925-683-9966.
HOT LUNCH TICKETS: Only 10 more hot lunches until the end of this year! Please plan accordingly and purchase tickets through the Family Envelope (not on Thursdays at the School Office please!). Hot Lunch Order Forms are included in each week’s Family Download and will be filled and sent back to you with your child.
COME OUT AND JOIN THE FUN! The 4th annual Mother/Son Event is an all-new outdoor, wilderness and archery adventure on Sunday, May 6 from 10am - 1pm at the Lafayette Reservoir (Upper Reserved Picnic Area). The day includes a light hike, team-building activities, archery lessons, a picnic lunch and more! The price is $65 per pair (Mom + 1 Son) and $25 for each additional son. For more information, please see the flyer in today’s envelope.
REGISTRATION FOR 2018-2019: We look forward to seeing you again in the 2018-2019 school year! The second installment of the registration fee for those who chose to make two payments is due on Wednesday, March 21st.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION DUE THIS FRIDAY, MARCH 16TH: Diocesan and School financial aid programs may be available for families who qualify. While the primary responsibility for financing a student's Catholic education rests with the student's family, Christ the King Catholic School will make every effort to see that no child is denied access to a Catholic education based solely on lack of funds to pay tuition.
TUITION ASSISTANCE: There are three types of Tuition Assistance available to Christ the King families: BASIC, FACE, and the CTK Children’s Fund.
• BASIC (Bay Area Scholastic Inner City) is an outside source available to all new students in Grades K-8 whose families qualify for the free/reduced hot lunch program and/or meet the income criteria set by Basic Fund. The Basic Fund application income criteria guidelines are strictly adhered to. Applications are available online only at http://www.basicfund.org/how-to-apply-english/. BASIC Fund grants are on a “first come first serve” basis. If you are interested, please submit your application as soon as possible! The filing deadline is March 16, 2018.
• Diocese of Oakland FACE (Family Aid for Catholic Education) Grant is a Diocesan sponsored tuition assistance program available to all qualifying families requesting financial aid. A FACTS application is required and is due no later than March 16, 2018. Please contact the FACE office with any questions at 510-267-8358 or email at email@example.com.
• The CTK Children’s Fund is tuition assistance sponsored by Christ the King Catholic School and is primarily available to students currently attending Christ the King. A FACTS application is required and is due no later than March 16, 2018.
FACTS application instructions: FACTS applications are available online only at https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/49NCY. Applications must include a copy of the family's most recent federal income tax return in order to verify the family's financial status and are due no later than March 16, 2018. For FAQ’s, visit https://FACTSmgt.com/grant-and-aid.
AUCTION SURVEY: We would appreciate hearing your feedback on the CTK 2018 Auction. Please take 2-3 minutes to answer a 15-question survey: CLICK HERE: POST AUCTION SURVEY
FESTIVAL MEDIEVAL MADNESS!:
• Festival T-Shirt pre-orders: 2018 Festival T-Shirt Pre-order forms are in today's Family Envelope and download. The deadline for pre-orders is Wednesday, March 28. Don't forget, your child can wear the T-shirt to school during Festival Week!
• Festival Sponsors: The Festival Committee would love your help in finding some additional festival sponsors. Please see the flier containing details of sponsorship levels.
• Talent Show: ARE YOU READY?? THE CTK TALENT SHOW IS COMING! Grab your friends, your siblings, your classmates - and start practicing! The talent show is open to children of all ages, and guess what?!? Parents, this year you too can join the fun! The CTK Talent Show will be held Saturday, May 19th - FESTIVAL WEEKEND! More details to come in the near future, but for now mark your calendars and let the singing, dancing, playing begin! Talent show participants must be students/families of CTK School or CTK Parishioners. Any questions, please email Amy Ghisletta firstname.lastname@example.org or Marisa Cox email@example.com.