Published May 01, 2018 22:59
Dear School Families,
It is that time of the school year again where we announce changes in our Faculty and Staff for next year. This is a time of transition every year, in every school. While turnover is an inevitable part of any organization, it is bittersweet. We are sad when familiar faces we love move on to new positions or new phases of their life but we also realize that these changes are opportunities for our friends and colleagues to grow and take on new challenges. So, while we are sad to see them go, we congratulate them, pray for them, thank them, and wish them well in their next adventure! The transitions for the 2018-19 school year are as follows:
Dear CTK School Families,
With a mixture of joy (more joy) and a bit of sadness I am writing to announce my upcoming retirement. After just short of 30 years at CTK school, the time seems right for me to pursue some new adventures during daylight hours. I look forward to more free time with my grandchildren, travel, tennis, bocce, gardening, walking and some volunteering. The gift of time to relax, exercise, and have a seven-day weekend all sounds great!
It has truly been a blessing, an honor and a joy to be such a part of the Christ the King School and Parish community. It’s been amazing to be the face at the front window and to know the 9600 students and 6600 families I’ve loved for all these years. I know I will continue to see so many of you around town and will certainly miss everyone.
I will assist with preparation for the upcoming school year through mid-summer. My final day of work will be made in consultation with the incoming principal.
All of us in the CTK family are so sad to see a legend like Mrs. Wilson leave. It is impossible to describe what Mrs. Wilson has given us in all her years here. She has worn so many hats so well, parent, bookkeeper, office manager, nurse, orderer of everything, party arranger and friend. She has answered so many questions, provided direction, and listened with kindness, understanding, and firmness when necessary. She has been a good teacher to little ones and older ones alike, and has shared her wonderful sense of humor with all of us. She has been a true steward of the responsibilities entrusted in her and the school will continue to benefit from the great things she has added to the foundation given her. We thank her from the bottom of our hearts for everything she has done for us. We will miss her greatly and are so happy for all those who will be getting her fulltime attention!
While Mrs. Wilson can never be ‘replaced’, we can assure you that she is leaving the front office in good hands. Mrs. Wilson will be passing the flaming baton that is the front office off to the team of Mrs. Thornbury and our newest staff member, Mrs. Jenny Barger. For those that may not know her, Mrs. Barger is a CTK parishioner and school parent. Her oldest is at De La Salle and her youngest will be graduating from CTK this year. Mrs. Barger comes to us by way of the front office at St. Isadore School where she has been a part of their administrative staff since 2012. Please join us in welcoming her to the CTK school team.
Dear Christ the King Families,
All good things come to an end. I’d like to take this time to thank everyone for their love, support, generosity and sharing your children with me these past 27 years. I have decided to retire at the end of the school year in June and start a new chapter in my life with my family. Christ the King School will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you all the best.
Love, Mrs. Carini
I cannot overstate the impact that Mrs. Carini has had on the children of CTK. She has been a rock for our early childhood program. She is a leader within our school family and mentor and friend to all of us. She is simply one of the finest educators I have ever seen and it has been a pleasure to work with and learn from her these last few years. I will personally miss her organization, honesty, and our talks about baseball. But again, fear not, she has been passing on her knowledge to the next generation of Assistants here at CTK and has promised to help get next year's kindergarten off the ground by sharing her secrets with our new Kindergarten team.
After many years in the Kindergarten classroom at CTK, Mrs. Denise Meyer will be transitioning into a new role at CTK that allows her more flexibility. Mrs. Meyer will be working closely with the student enrichment and after school programming. She will be bringing her experience as a classroom teacher to new areas at CTK.
I think the saying goes "As God closes a door he opens a window." These changes in staffing have become opportunities for other faculty members to try something new or even get back to where they started. With that we are overjoyed to announce that Mrs. Hollee Maffeo has been named as the new Kindergarten teacher at Christ the King. Mrs. Maffeo has been with CTK for 17 years. She has background and experience in Early Childhood Education and has been in school these last two years pursuing additional training as a Certified Reading Specialist. She will bring a wealth of experience and top notch academic research to our early childhood programming.
Mrs. Jennifer Miner will also not be returning next year. Ever the Lifelong Learner, Mrs. Miner has gone back to school at St. Mary's College to pursue her Masters in Special Education. Mrs. Miner has also taken a position that aligns with that area of education. We are thankful for her years here at CTK working with our Junior High students and wish her the best in her new role.
And finally, Mrs. Danielle Johnson has given her notice that she cannot return to CTK next year. In her short time here Mrs. Johnson has been invaluable through her flexibility. She's split her time at CTK as a very capable substitute teacher or assistant in any grade level, she's been a part of our office staff, CLUB staff, and also helped remodel and modernize the Library and Media Center. Danielle has been an amazing teammate to all of us here at CTK and we thank her and wish her luck.
Please join me and the CTK School Community in wishing these wonderful people all the best in their new endeavors.
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
Tuesday, May 1: Progress Reports go home
Wednesday, May 2: 8th Gr. Grad Picture Retake
No 7 a.m. 8th Grade Math Class
Minimum Day Dismissal - 12:00 p.m.
Waivers & Lunch Orders for Mother/Son Event due
Thursday, May 3: Police Escort to School Auction Item - 7:50 a.m.
Hot Lunch - Pizza
Festival Talent Show Practice - Amphitheater 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Friday, May 4: Dress Uniform
Mass 8:00 a.m. - Gr. 2 prepares
Gr. 2 Communion Pictures 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, May 5: Drop off for Starbooks & Country Store at Pod 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 6: Mother/Son Event - Lafayette Reservoir 10:00 a.m.
Monday, May 7: Festival Meeting - Room 222 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 8: Tuition Late
Wednesday, May 9: Festival Ticket & Wristband Orders due
Dismissal - 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, May 10: Hot Lunch - Chicken Katsu
Friday, May 11: Dress Uniform
Mass 8:00 a.m. - Gr. 3 prepares
Gr. 8 Field Trip - 8:45 a.m.
Gr. 8 Graduation Dance - St. Francis
REQUEST FOR PRAYERS: For those who are sick, homeless, hungry, and without work. We pray for all those who work in Catholic education and we thank them for this valuable ministry to our church.
MOTHER-SON WEEKEND: The 4th Annual Mother/Son event is happening THIS weekend, Sunday, May 6th at 10:00 a.m. at Lafayette Reservoir. Reference the map included in your confirmation packet for the exact location. Thank you everyone who registered! We’re looking forward to an awesome event!
REMEMBER: Participation waivers and lunch order forms are due into the office no later than Wednesday, May 2. T-SHIRTS: If you pre-ordered T-Shirts, they will be available for pickup this Friday, May 4th before and after school. Please bring a check for your payment if you haven’t yet turned it in.
Any questions please email Arlene Santos (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Carolyn Della Maggiore (email@example.com).
FINAL TUITION PAYMENT: Final tuition payments for the 2017-2018 school year are due today, May 1st and will be delinquent on May 8th. No payments are due June and July. All families must have their tuition accounts paid in full by May 1, 2018. If you are in need of an extended payment plan you must contact the school office to make arrangements. Current students will not be considered re-registered for the 2018-2019 school year as long as this year’s tuition is unpaid. The first tuition payment for 2018-2019 is due on August 1, 2018.
SCRIP NEWS: The last opportunity to make SCRIP purchases for the 2017-2018 School Fund Assessment was April 26th. All purchases after April 26th will count towards your 2018-2019 School Fund Assessment.
ScripSense users, please send in your account statement (screenshot of your earnings on your dashboard) by today, May 1st, if you’d like to include April 2018’s earnings. Also, please make sure that all family/friends who contribute to your school family account submit their statement together with your own statement. Please send statements to the attention of Maryann Harrison. May 1st is the final deadline as year-end statements will be issued shortly thereafter.
Last order date before summer break is May 31st with delivery on June 7th. Plan your summer SCRIP needs and stock up. Don’t forget to order Classic Design Uniform Store SCRIP- these MAY NOT be available during the Uniform Sales Day! There will be NO physical SCRIP card sales during the summer. You can still purchase scripnow ecards and reload now through shopwithscrip during the summer months.
FESTIVAL MEDIEVAL MADNESS: Festival needs your help!
• Tickets and Wristbands: The order form for tickets/wristbands is included in today’s download. Orders are due Wednesday, May 9th.
• Raffle Tickets: Included in today’s Family Envelope is a Raffle Ticket Flyer and Raffle tickets. Each raffle is only $3.00 and great prizes for the winners!
• Festival Signups: The Festival signups are available for school families. An email was sent from CTKFESTIVALSCHEDULING@GMAIL.COM that contains the link to the site will be sent in advance. The e-mail distribution list will be the same one used for the Online Reporting of Family Service Hours email that was sent on March 27. IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE the email sent on March 27, please send a note to CTKFESTIVALSCHEDULING@GMAIL.COM so that the distribution list can be updated with your correct email address.
• “Like new’ stuffed animals and glassware (glasses, cups, small dishes): Please bring your donations to the school office lobby in a box or bag labeled ‘Festival.’
• Baked goods: Please contact Nancy Molina at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help for the cakewalk and for bingo desserts.
• Talent for our talent show!: CTK TALENT SHOW IS COMING SOON! Have you thought of your talent yet? Are you practicing? It’s not too late! CTK Talent Show will be held Saturday, May 19th from 2:00–4:00 p.m. during the Festival! For those planning to perform, please fill out the attached permission slip and act information sheet and return to the school office. The talent show practice will be held this Thursday, May 3rd from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. in the amphitheater. Email Amy Ghisletta (email@example.com) or Marisa Cox (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. Can’t wait to see all of CTK’s talent!!!
Please read the following specifications carefully:
• Starbooks: We accept clean and gently used books for adults and children in these categories: fiction, non-fiction, religion, travel, cooking, self-help, parenting, gardening, hobbies, sports, arts and crafts, mystery, romance, sci-fi, philosophy, arts, animals, politics and more. We also accept CDs and DVDs and audio books. Please NO textbooks, magazines, VHS/cassette tapes or encyclopedias!! If you have any questions and/or would like to help with book sorting please contact Suellen Noland (email@example.com). We especially need sturdy copy paper boxes with lids.
• Country Store: New, or gently used items but please no furniture, clothing, computers/TV’s, etc. Please NO JUNK and remember that these items will be resold. We are in need of shelves or small concrete blocks (to borrow for store setup) and any extra shopping bags. Contact Stephanie Jullien at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-708-2422.
• DROP OFF for Starbooks and Country Store: Items for Starbooks and Country Store must be dropped off in our storage pod, which is located next to the youth house, adjacent to the main parking lot. Please DO NOT drop off in front of school office or gym. Drop off dates and times are as follows:
• 5/5 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
• 5/12 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Thank you everyone for all your help!
-Festival Planning Committee
PARISH AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
4TH ANNUAL HOPE WALK: Please join Cancer Support Community for its 4th Annual Hope Walk scheduled for Saturday, May 19th at Heather Farm from 8:30-12:30 pm. The registration fee is $25 and includes an event t-shirt. Register at hopewalkbayarea.net. Questions about the walk or the FREE services CSC provides to people who face cancer? Please call Carol at CSC 925-953-1209.